Appealing In Even Years

The Appeal Process | Should you Appeal? | Should you Get Help? | Appealing in Even Years

Valuation Appeals – Appealing in Even Years

Most taxpayers do not know much about the options you have for protesting your valuation of your property. So here are some little known facts:

  1. The Notices of Valuation are sent out every 2 years on odd numbered years (2007, 2009, 2011, 2013), and most people think you can only protest on these years.
  2. Even though you do not get Notices on even numbered years (2008, 2010, 2012), Colorado Statutes provide that you can protest your valuation in May of these even numbered years also.
  3. If you neglected to protest your valuation a year or two ago, you can Petition for an Abatement and Refund of taxes you paid last year and the year before.  If you win this Petition, you might be eligible for a partial refund of taxes you OVER-paid due to inaccurate over-valuation of your property a couple of years ago.
  4. If the Assessor rejects your protest at the first level of appeal, you can take your protest to higher levels of appeals whereby you might get a more fair judgment on your valuation.